This cookie reminds me of when I was little and my dad would bring me home a sprinkled cookie from the bakery. I always love these cookies because they were so buttery, crunchy and sweet. I was craving this type cookie this past week so decided to make them one afternoon with my daughter. I think that most of the leftover sprinkles wound up more in her mouth than on the cookie but who can blame her? I had her sprinkle the cookies with the sprinkles and “mush” them gently into the cookie. I got the original recipe here at allrecipes.com which I pretty much followed with a few modifications. Here is how I made it:
1 cup of unsalted butter (softened)
1 to 1 1/4 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Cream together sugar and butter. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla.
3. Add flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar and gently stir. I used my hands which are your best tool!
4. Form dough into balls the size of a munchkin (I like my cookies a little larger). Gently push down the cookie and sprinkle the colored sprinkles on top. Gently push the sprinkles in the cookie. It took a few rounds of putting the sprinkles on because some would fall off.
5. Bake for 12-14 minutes until the cookies start to get some color.
6. Cool and eat! This recipe makes approximately 15 larger cookies (depending on how big and small you make them)