I love cinnamon coffee cake with a nice crumb topping. This cake is sweet, moist and great for a crowd since it doesn’t take very long to make and is easily doubled for a lot of people. You can change this up by adding blueberries instead of apple. Hope you enjoy it!
1/2 stick unsalted butter, room temperature (1/4 cup)
3/4 cup of sugar
1 cup of low fat buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon fine table salt
3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of ground all spice
1 peeled apple cut up and diced
1/2 cup of all purpose flour
1/2 cup of brown sugar
3 tablespoons of butter (cold)
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and a dash of ground all spice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease one 9 X 9 inch pan
2. Cream together sugar and butter.
3. Add egg and vanilla.
4. In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
5. Add flour mixture alternatively with buttermilk to sugar butter mixture beginning and ending with flour mixture.
6. Fold in diced apple.
7. Pour into prepared pan.
8. Mix crumb topping until the mixture comes together and is crumbly.
9. Pour on top of batter and spread so all areas have crumb topping.
10. Bake for about 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
11. Cool and serve. Make sure to leave out because if you wrap it up too soon the crumb topping will get mushy.